Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Race news.

Patrick will be pleased to see I'm back on to the subject cycling. I did my first race of the year, in the new kit no less.
Patrick had briefed me very well the night before, including vital information on wind the speed and direction (Westerly so I should hug the rightside of track) and when to make my solo break.
I got a little lost on the way to the track but if I didn't cut it fine then I just wouldn't be me. In the dressing room the conversation was along the lines of 'it's a westerly to day', 'stick to the right of the track and a break will be easy'.
Thanks to putting in an extra warm up lap I started right at the back and with the first three laps a blur at an average of 49kmph, I got to the middle of the bunch and stayed there. As the pace fell to a more manageable 42kmph I fought to get near the front but with about a 100 riders on the track I just couldn't find a gap. It got a bit hairy at times with people struggling to stay on the pace. The field split into 3 or 4 bunches, with effort I breached the gap from the second pack to join the leaders.
But I never made the front, six riders made a break, leaving the rest to sprint for 4 places. I never really contested the sprint due largely to a rider cutting across my line as I tried to move up.
All in all it was frustrating but I ultimately I think I need for race experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home