Monday, March 3, 2008

The very popular Mr Bye!

I raced in the Wally Gimber yesterday. My first road race ever. The threat of on coming traffic made me unrelaxed for the most part of the race, especially since to get through the field it was necessary to go on the wrong side of the road.

I often gave my postion away rather cheaply surrendering it to riders pushing in. Anyway, a break of 6 riders went away while I was in the middle of the field and unable to react.

However with 1 lap to go I made my move, rather bold considering the strength of the field. After a couple of miles solo I was joined by the very popular Andrew Bye. Now I don't know Andrew really, I've just seen his name in results list, usually at the top. But whenever we rode past specatators, there would be cheers of Come on Andy! I wouldn't have been surprised if knickers were thrown at him.

Anyhow I was pleased he and Gareth McCulloch joined me in the chase for the lead group. We never made it. Andy's chain came off, we gave him a push while he got it back on then I got cramp which slowed me down, but ultimately I managed to ride it off.

However Tony Gibb was driving the bunch behind us, and with just a few miles to go we were caught.

Andy did well to still grap 14th. I finished somewhere lower outside the top 20.

So well done to him, Mr 'popular' Bye, he really is a very good rider and a very nice guy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Hawkins said...

don't worry Alex, they'll be throwing their knickers at you too soon!

March 10, 2008 at 3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home