Friday, July 4, 2008

My 1st 2upTT

I usually do things alone. I always have done. I'm shy, which may be the biggest reason and also I'm scared of failure so the longer I can keep my intentions secret the longer it is before anyone can question me of the wisdom.

The Kingston Wheelers do a club 10 TT every other Wednesday, and this week was to be a 2 UP. I'd checked and it was possible for me ride solo, whichh was perfect. I'd get to test myself against the clock safe in the knowledge that I couldn't fail in anyway as everyone one else was in pairs.

However another Kingston Wheeler was looking for a partner, and asked me. Before I knew it, I had teamed up with a complete stranger unaware of his strength. He may drop me like a stone.

Ben is a nice guy, I still don't know him very well, his PB was 23 something which didn't mean much as I didn't know the course. We'd hit upon the tactic of changing every 2.5 miles,which shows how much we knew.

Now I'd assumed a 2up TT, would be easier than a solo ride, not least because you spend half the race drafting. Boy was I wrong.

I was in front at first and setting a reasonable pace but well within the 2.5 miles Ben came round me. I didn't have a speedo so assumed I'd been going a little easy for him, however as I settled behind him, I got the impression he had underestimated how hard the going was. I wasn't complaining it was obvious every 2.5 for a change was silly.

We changed at will, not on the downhills. I dropped him briefly, but we rode together very well and I found myself really enjoying it - plus it seemed a fast ride.

We rode hard side by side across the line, we'd past a few couples and I had a good feeling.

We couldn't hide our exhaustion in the carpark, in our attempts not to let each other down and our competitve sides we'd done it pretty much at our max. Once I felt my lungs returned to their rightful place I had a drink and smiled.

The results showed us as second, which I have to say is a good result.

Sadly they only do one 2UP a year, but I'm keen to find another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home