Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fathers Day

I was watching a TV programme about sportsman the other day and how they all have superstitions or at least routines and habits from which they never deviate. The only common thing with all my rides or races is that I'll leave the house late and ill prepared.

A routine is what I need, but I just can't do it. Nothing I own is ever in the same place as before, don't get me wrong I'm not messy (okay a little) I put things away but because the correct place for something hasn't been established I have a hell of time remembering where. So the only ritual I was aware of until today was that I spend the morning searching the house saying, 'I've saw it somewhere recently'. I now keep my old helmet and shoes in the car so should forget my currents ones I'll still be able to race.

I went to Richmond Park today to have a crack at the 3-Lap Challenge, not with much hope as I'd been to mate's funeral yesterday and got a little worse for wear. Anyhow as I approached the Park, I felt the need to pee. And it occured to me I always get the need at the same time. And every time instead of waiting till I get to the public toilets in the Park I pull over to my favourite spot. Why there I can't anwser, it is over looked by a block of flats and on a slope so my wee runs back down towards me and between my feet. But there it is my Richmond Park ritual.

The actual 3 laps went quite well, and I posted a time of 50:21. I've been worried about my fitness lately but the time shows if I don't get held up by cars and breeze isn't too strong I'm not too bad. I'm still struggling to be pleased though, because if I'd known how well I was going I'd have pushed that bit more, as it was I found myself drifting of in to my thoughts and losing concentration. I've made a mental note (can't find a pen or paper) to remember my bike speedo next time, and my sunglasses, it's too early to say what I'll forget instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home